Team India defeat England in the fourth Test at the Kennington Oval in London to take a 2-1 lead in the five-match series. The hosts chased down a goal of 368 and got a bundle of 210 and lost the match by a large margin of 157 runs.
Rohit Sharma’s outstanding century, Jasprit Bumrah’s sensational bowling, Ravindra Jadeja’s impressive spin-off performance, Umesh Yadav’s return performance, Shardul Thakur’s overall exhibition of first – class cricket and the remarkable captaincy of Virat Kohli were all key factors behind India’s historic triumph on the oval.
It was India’s first Test victory at this place since 1971, and it was also the first time since 1986 that India had won several matches in a Test series in England. Furthermore, it was only the second chance when India claimed a victory in an overseas Test after being sacked for less than 200 innings. The first such appearance was in 2018 against South Africa in Johannesburg.
Visiting parties win test matches at Lord’s and the Oval in the same series:
- 5 – Australia, in 1930, 1948, 1972, 2001, and 2015.
- 4 West India in 1950, 1973, 1984 and 1988.
- 3 – Pakistan in 1992, 1996 and 2016.
- 1 – New Zealand in 1999
- 1 – South Africa in 2012
- 1 – INDIA in 2021 *
‘The character that the team showed to come back from a deficit of 100 runs showed that we were not down. Among the three best bowling performances I have seen as captain of India, “ says winning captain Kohli during the post-match submission.
Here’s how Twitter responded:
Good performance .. The skill is the difference, but the biggest difference is the absorbing force of pressure..Indian cricket is far ahead of the rest @BCCI
– Sourav Ganguly (@ SGanguly99) 6 September 2021
The beauty of Test cricket.
Team INDIA reaches new heights every series 🇮🇳
– DK (inDineshKarthik) 6 September 2021
– Wasim Jaffer (@ WasimJaffer14) 6 September 2021
– (@IamDimuth) 6 September 2021
This is a very special test match. After being 127/7 on the first day, not many teams can return and win a roadblock test like Team India did. That’s why it’s a very special Indian team. Congratulations to all who took part in an unforgettable victory. pic.twitter.com/9XDJCCrAwC
VVS Laxman (@ VVSLaxman281) 6 September 2021
There is something special about this bowling attack, they see a chance to win; they forget that they are incapable or out of touch. Flat track does not mean flat bowling. #ENGvIND
– Mohammad Kaif (@MohammadKaif) 6 September 2021
What an incredible return through India after the first day.
Shardul Thakur and Rohit Sharma were the standouts and the bowlers were excellent especially in the second innings. A victory to remember #ENGvIND pic.twitter.com/gOcUJa6fT8
– Venkatesh Prasad (@venkateshprasad) 6 September 2021
This is a real test victory .. !!
– Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) 6 September 2021
– Anjum Chopra (@chopraanjum) 6 September 2021
This, among the many other victories in Australia and England, only reaffirms the belief that India is no longer a team that depends on one man to win. Whether it is a Mohammad Siraj or a Shardul Thakur, their team depth was many examples in tests.
– zainab abbas (@ZAbbasOfficial) 6 September 2021
If Lord’s was special, today’s victory at The Oval is spectacular. # TeamIndia thrive on challenges and like to overcome them. Congratulations to the whole group on the incredible achievement. @ jaspritbumrah93‘s journey to 100 Test wickets was phenomenal #ENGvIND
– Jay Shah (@JayShah) 6 September 2021
– Adam Collins (@collinsadam) 6 September 2021
– Mpumelelo Mbangwa (@mmbangwa) 6 September 2021
Another brilliant Indian victory on the fifth day in London.
On the two grounds that offered the least seam and swing, India beat England by more than 150 runs.
India is a better team in all circumstances; England needs extreme home conditions to close the gap
– Tim Wigmore (@timwig) 6 September 2021
Brilliant test match. India have struck a huge blow and it will take something special at Old Trafford for a battered and bruised England to sign the series now. #ENGvIND
– Melinda Farrell (@melindafarrell) 6 September 2021
– Ridhima Pathak (@PathakRidhima) 6 September 2021
IT. IS. IT! 👏
Bend, # TeamIndia! 🙌
What a fantastic win it is not at The Oval! 👌
We are going to Manchester with a 2-1 lead! 👍 👍 #ENGvIND
– BCCI (@BCCI) 6 September 2021
India’s first Test victory at The Oval, London since 1971
The first time since 1986 that India have won several matches in a Test series in England
Second time India wins overseas Test after being relegated for less than 200 bats first (against RSA in 2018 in Johannesburg)#ENGvIND 🇮🇳
– Fox Sports Lab (@FoxSportsLab) 6 September 2021
– ICC (@ICC) 6 September 2021
THEY DID IT! ❤️🔥
A historic victory over the Oval by 157 runs!
INDIAAAAA, INDIAAAAA 🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳
Tune in to Sony Six (ENG), Sony Ten 3 (HIN), Sony Ten 4 (TAM, TEL) and SonyLIV (https://t.co/AwcwLCPFGm ) now! 📺#ENGvINDOnlyOnSonyTen #BackOurBoys #Shardul #Rohit #bumrah #Root pic.twitter.com/TAyYTzqxH9
– Sony Sports (@SonySportsIndia) 6 September 2021
A fantastic victory for India at the Oval. They were too good today, especially Bumrah. England had their opportunities in this match but could not take advantage of it. 2-1 to India with one to play #ENGvIND
– Rob Johnston (@RobJ_Cricket) 6 September 2021
Visiting parties win Test matches at Lord’s and the Oval in the same series
From (5) 1930, 1948, 1972, 2001, 2015
WI (4) 1950, 1973, 1984, 1988
Pack (3) 1992, 1996, 2016
NZ (1) 1999
Pure (1) 2012
Ind (1) 2021#INDvsEND #IndvEng#ENGvIND #EngvsInd
– Mohandas Menon (@mohanstatsman) 6 September 2021
Conquering London: Lord’s & The Oval!
– Sarang Bhalerao (bhaleraosarang) 6 September 2021
Again a sensational overseas Test victory for India in 2021, where they had heroes up and down the order and contributions of so many #EngvIND
– Bharat Sundaresan (@ beastieboy07) 6 September 2021
– Rajasthan Royals (@rajasthanroyals) 6 September 2021
Credit where needed. @imVkohli was great as captain today.
– Boria Majumdar (@BoriaMajumdar) 6 September 2021
2 – 1
– Mumbai Indians (@mipaltan) 6 September 2021
India conquers London, AGAIN! 🇮🇳
– Punjab Kings (@PunjabKingsIPL) 6 September 2021
– CricketTimes.com (@CricketTimesHQ) 6 September 2021
3 victories in England.
2 wins in Australia.
1 victory in South Africa.
6th victory in SENA conditions in Test cricket – predominantly at home, victory abroad – Virat Kohli writes history as captain in Test cricket. pic.twitter.com/IBa1kEutOX
– Johns. (@CricCrazyJohns) 6 September 2021