A bizarre incident occurred on the day of the ongoing second Test between England and In the with the Lord. Two English fielders were seen putting their sharp shoes on the ball, a face that led many to accuse the home side of ball tampering.
The incident was from the 35th over of India’s second innings when Ollie Robinson passed the ball to his fellow fiancé Mark Wood between his deliveries in.
Instead of picking up the ball with his hand, Wood pressed it with his shoe, and another unknown English player saw the striker press against it.
The footage of the same has become popular on social media, with many, including former Indian cricketers Virender Sehwag and Aakash Chopra, claims English players of ball tampering and questions the spirit of cricket.
– Pranav Ramakanthan (@duality_pranav) 15 August 2021
It looks like ball tampering, England. It definitely makes… pic.twitter.com/qLeICi5i2D
– Shekhar Gupta (@ShekharGupta) 15 August 2021
Yeh kya ho raha hai.
Is it tampered with balls by preventative measures vid pic.twitter.com/RcL4I2VJsC
– Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) 15 August 2021
– Vikrant Gupta (@ vikrantgupta73) 15 August 2021
Messing with the ball, right? #EngvInd
– Wear a mask. Stay Safe, India (@cricketaakash) 15 August 2021
– RVCJ Media (@RVCJ_FB) 15 August 2021
– GurPreet ChAudhary (@ GuriChaudhary77) 15 August 2021
Meanwhile, the veteran English pacemaker Stuart Broad defended Wood by saying: ‘My comment is – Woody tried to snatch Burnsy by tapping the ball through his legs (a very common occurrence) and he accidentally missed and kicked the ball there. Watch the video instead of taking the picture, pretty simple and easy to see. ”
My comment is- Woody tried to nut Burnsy by tapping the ball through his legs (a very common occurrence) and he accidentally missed and kicked the ball there. Watch the video instead of taking the picture- fairly simple and easy to see
– Stuart Broad (@ StuartBroad8) 15 August 2021