Indian boxers Lovlina Borgohain secured second bronze medal for her country during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics even after suffering a 69kg welterweight semi-final defeat Busenaz Surmeneli on Wednesday.
Lovlina became the second female boxer after legendary MC Mary Kom to win an Olympic bronze medal for India. Come especially won the medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
Respond to the news, Indian cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar congratulated the 23-year-old Lovlina and said that the whole country is proud of her.
‘Congratulations on winning #Bronze, @LovlinaBorgohai! Fantastic achievement to win a medal in your first #Olympic Games ever. With your dedication and hard work, I’m sure things will only get better here. The whole nation is very proud of you. # Tokio2020 #Bok, “ tendulkar tweeted.
Fantastic achievement to win a medal in your first ever #Olympic Games
With your dedication and hard work, I’m sure things will only get better here.
– Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) 4 August 2021
Former opener in India Virender Sehwag wishes Lovlina that she was only the third Indian boxer ever to win an Olympic medal.
“Brilliant Lovlina! Only the third Indian boxer ever to win an Olympic medal. Congratulations, #LovlinaBorgohain on winning the bronze. # Tokio2020, ” Sehwag wrote on the micro-blog site.
– Virender Sehwag (@virendersehwag) 4 August 2021
Former patient in India Venkatesh Prasad writing: “And a third medal for India. Congratulations #LovlinaBorgohain on winning a #Bronze in your first Olympics. Wishing you all the best with the road ahead. # Tokyo2020”
– Venkatesh Prasad (@venkateshprasad) 4 August 2021
VVS Laxman shared Lovlina’s incredible story and journey in his congratulatory tweet.
‘She started boxing in 2012. Won a bronze at the 2018 & 2019 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships and has now won an Olympic bronze. Congratulations, #Lovlina. Your journey and victory will inspire many young people. # Tokio2020 ” Laxman tweeted.
She started boxing in 2012.
Won a bronze at the 2018 & 2019 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships
And has now won an Olympic bronze.
Congratulations #Lovlina . Your journey and victory will inspire many young people. #Tokio 2020 pic.twitter.com/lbW9Xrcim5
VVS Laxman (@ VVSLaxman281) 4 August 2021
Here’s how others reacted:
– Surya Kumar Yadav (@ surya_14kumar) 4 August 2021
– Chennai Super Kings – Mask P Whdu Whistle P🥳du! (@ChennaiIPL) 4 August 2021
– Harbhajan Turbanator (@harbhajan_singh) 4 August 2021
– Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) 4 August 2021
– Gautam Gambhir (@GautamGambhir) 4 August 2021
Medal in her first Olympics ✅
Only the 3rd 🇮🇳 Boxer who a #Olympic Games medal ✅
– Delhi Capitals (Stay at home. Wear double masks😷) (@DelhiCapitals) 4 August 2021
Good fight @LovlinaBorgohai
This #Olympic Games is a testament to the talent and determination that our women possess. They just keep bringing laurels to the country. 🇮🇳
Congratulations on the bronze, we are very proud and happy for you!#Tokio 2020 pic.twitter.com/WxhJuoc23K
– DK (inDineshKarthik) 4 August 2021
– SunRisers Hyderabad (@SunRisers) 4 August 2021
– Wasim Jaffer (@ WasimJaffer14) 4 August 2021
– Punjab Kings (@PunjabKingsIPL) 4 August 2021